Thursday, July 16, 2009

Sparring

For Alex's birthday we bought him some sparring gear for his Tae Kwon Do class. Last night was his first night to participate in the beating session and he loved it. I totally enjoyed watching him and the others and wished that I could have joined in. When we can afford to I think we'll have the whole family in the class. For now I'll live vicariously through my little butt kicker.
Here's Alex all geared up before class. What you can't see is his favorite part (the cod piece). When we bought the gear he had to try it on which embarrassed him thoroughly.
Here he is delivering a fine front kick.
The boys he was sparring with were all higher belts than him and he held his own. Here he is defending against a side kick during free sparring.

1 comment:

Phil said...

Awesome. Back in the day I took a decent amount of karate. It was really fun. I'm glad I did it. My appreciation for martial arts has seasoned many aspects of my life. The discipline it creates helps one's mind, even spirit (though obviously being Christian there is a limit to how far I allow that to go). I love the balance and control this early experience afforded me. I don't really remember much of what I learned and was never any good at sparring. My favorite part of martial arts are the forms (or "katas" as they are called in karate).

I've been stretching and working out lately... but no martial arts practice included... just trying to be a little disciplined and get in better shape.

Post a Comment