Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The Season

When I was a kid I looked forward to the Christmas season. I loved the decorations, songs, lights, the anticipation, and the story. I looked forward to the mysterious packages under the tree and the temptation to guess what was inside. I looked forward to Christmas Eve and the feast that accompanied that day as part of our family tradition. I looked forward to going to church and singing Christmas Carols. Images of the baby Jesus lying in a manger as his proud parents looked over him.

That was then.

This is now.

Maybe it's my age. I don't know.

It has been said before and I'll say it again. This is a time to celebrate the birth of our Savior Jesus not a time to celebrate capitalism.

It's not that I don't like giving or receiving gifts as part of the celebration or Santa Claus or snow and reindeer. I like to shop and buy and think of creative gifts for my loved ones as much as the next guy. But I don't want to do it starting in October. For some they get a sense of pride saying that they have their Christmas shopping done before Halloween. I say "who cares?".

It really hit me this year when I ran to the mall the day after Halloween and JC Penney's already had out their Christmas decorations. This set me on the path of darkness. I love Christmas, I love the season, but when it confronts me head on two months early I get weary.

I have a rule: No Christmas decorations, songs, cards, etc. until after Thanksgiving.

Sorry to rant, I had to get it off my chest. But we as a nation have lost the baby Jesus under a pile of ribbon and wrap. He is somewhere behind Santa and his little elfs, and rudolph and the snowman, and Clark Griswold and Ralphie and his Red Rider bb gun. Don't get me wrong I love those movies, but in reality they don't portray the true meaning of Christmas.

Christ's birth is no small matter. It should be celebrated with a big party. This birth was looked forward to, prophesied about, anticipated, and celebrated by those fortunate enough to be present and alert. Now it is hidden and forgotten. America's desire to boost our economy by promoting the holiday's gift giving aspect of the holiday has shadowed Christmas' true meaning.

All I'm saying is what also has been said a million times, put on bumper stickers, church signs, billboards, and sky writing; put Christ back in Christmas.

There I'm done.

Well sort of. My brother sent me this link. And I'll end with this addition to your Christmas cheer. Clark Griswold eat your heart out.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment