Sunday, December 04, 2005

A Father's Pride

Yesterday my daughter Brianna, who is eight, had her first singing solo on stage in front of the church. She was nervous and I was nervous for her. She was doing something I'd never have the courage to do at her age. Singing in front of people, let alone speaking, would have made me nervous to the point of passing out.

The group she is a part of, Joyful Noise, did a musical called "Christmas in Reverse". It was very cute. She had the first solo in the first song. As she approached the microphone I could see her nervousness. Her eyes were darting from right to left, she wasn't sure what to do with her hands, and she stood with anticipation of her big moment. When the moment came, and my stomach was as tight as it could get, she belted out her part without missing a word or a beat. She did awesome. I was very proud of her. This was a gift she must have got from her mother.

I hated that I was even nervous for her. I would hate to see her fail, or not do well, because I know how she would feel yet the fact that she was up on stage, willing to put herself in front of the audience, made me feel a great sense of pride in her. Success or failure I was there for her. I love her too much not to be. Us parents are like that.

I believe that God is the same way with us without the nervousness. I believe that He holds a great sense of pride for His children. He looks at us and smiles. Success or failure He is with us, holding us, comforting us, taking in our performance on the stage of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment