Monday, August 18, 2008

Religion & Politics

This weekend I took a break from the Olympics to watch some politics.

First I must say that over the last couple years I have made a concerted effort to minimize my involvement in politics. I don't listen to talk radio or read the blogs much at all these days. I do keep in minimal touch with the candidates and their stances through independent news sources and the candidates own websites.

Second I must say that I have not been excited about nor impressed with either candidate.

What caught my attention to steer me away from the Olympics for bit was that Rick Warren of Saddleback Church was going to interview both presidential candidates on CSPAN in front of his congregation. Religion meets politics. Could be dangerous.

I watched, listened, and learned. And I had my mind changed a bit. Mr. Warren was fair. He asked both men the same questions and gave them each total respect. First, he sat with Mr. Obama who answered sincerely and as expected. Second, he sat with Mr. McCain who also answered sincerely and as expected.

There was one difference between the men that struck me more than anything. John McCain has a sense of humor. He was amicable and personable. He told stories, joked, and was able to laugh. This impressed me.

I find it easier to trust a person that has a sense of humor. Not a comedian or a jokester, but someone who can take things at face value and laugh about the little things. Don't get me wrong, Mr. McCain was serious about a great many things including education, his war experience, Osama Bin Laden, etc. It was the little things he was able to joke about and this put me at ease.

I've stated in a post a long time ago that if Ron Paul wasn't the nominee I wasn't going to vote. This was stated tongue in cheek. I will be voting. As a citizen it is my privilege and responsibility to do so. At this point I am swinging from writing my own name in to checking the box for Mr. McCain. We still have our differences but I like him more now than I did before.

2 comments:

Emiko said...

Cool. Unashamedly me too. As an Independent voter, I actually really like McCain.

Paulos said...

I'm not planing on voting, Ron Paul proposed much more change than Obama did who's campaign is titled change.

This reminds me more of Rage against the machine's song / video "testify"

Post a Comment