Monday, May 10, 2010

Let the Gun Polishing Begin

I've always known my daughter looks a lot like my wife. But this weekend I took a picture that confirms it. See what I mean, beautiful!

This coming week she turns 13. My first teenager. As she grows, even though I've asked her to stop, I get glimpses of the woman she is becoming. I couldn't be more proud to be her dad. Her heart is big and her sense of humor is intact. She is beginning to express an independence that comes with age and one that will continue to grow as she becomes the woman that Kathi and I are raising her to be. She cares deeply for others and holds her friends close. Although she'd never admit it she loves her brother and is a good big sister to him. God has given her a tender heart and she uses it well.

I love that she has always been a girly girl. Although she isn't much of a dress wearer she is still all girl. She is beginning to have tastes and styles of her own. She loves to express herself through her own unique fashion sense and hair styles. I was recently asked by a friend if I would let her dye her hair black and paint her nails black. I would. Because I know her heart and it is good.

I know in the coming years boys will begin to call. A forewarning to the boys out there - I am a member of the NRA, I pack heat, and my groupings are very good. In other words, I won't let her go without a fight.

Fatherhood poses many challenges but the one I knew was coming is the one I feel the least prepared for. Thirteen is a ways from eighteen but I didn't think thirteen years could go by so fast. It feels like yesterday that we were bringing her home for the first time.


1 comment:

Krista said...

Ok this made me a little teary eyed. Look at how little she was...OMG!!! You have both raised a beautiful daughter. I love that you give her the freedom to be who she is, a lot of parents do not. I am confident any boy she does decide to bring home you will like, because you have also shown her she deserves the best.

As far as becoming a teenager goes, hang on this is gonna be a fun ride.

Post a Comment