Monday, November 08, 2010

Hurt

Sometimes a song has more meaning when it is sung by a particular person. This post has two videos of the same song sung by different people. Each one portrays the song in a little different way. The first video is by the writer and original artist, the second by a legend. Both the video and voice change the song for me. They contain the same lyrics (mostly) but the feel of the song is so different. Check it out...

In the original video Trent Reznor stands on stage behind a screen of images of war, animals, death, art, Jesus and whatnot. This video is interesting and portrays an artistic and global feel for the song.

Hurt - Nine Inch Nails (Original Song)


In the version below Johnny Cash gives a heart felt rendition that just grabs me. The video images on top of his voice adds a ton more emotion to it. I've never heard or read what Trent Reznor thinks of Mr. Cash's version but I bet he thinks it's awesome.

Hurt - Johnny Cash cover version

2 comments:

the dame said...

I have always loved the juxtaposition of these. My favorite instance of this type of thing was when I heard someone perform Bruce Springsteen's "Dancing in the Dark" in a slow acoustic set. It was heartbreakingly melancholy but so, so beautiful. Trying to find the exact performer doing that song online somewhere...

Also - The Outkast hip-hop/dance song "Hey Ya" - Matt Weddle of Obadiah Parker does a GORGEOUS slow reinterpretation of it! See here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c745E7T_Wvg

Brian said...

YES! Obadiah Parker's under the same hat. I bought that song the moment I heard it.

Post a Comment