Monday, February 14, 2005

Valentine's Day

Today is a day we focus on our love for another. We send flowers, chocolates and pretty cards to our loved ones. Basically we tell those that already know that we love them that we love them. The holiday is named after St. Valentine whom we really know nothing about, nor which St. Valentine it was named after since there are a couple of them. I hold that this holiday is a retail scam to collect two bucks from everyone for a card they feel required to buy.

My kids are having a party to celebrate the day. They have decorated little boxes to receive their Valentine's in and have sealed up little Valentine cards for their buddies. I am not sure what Spiderman has to do with today, but my sons cards are covered with him. My daughter will most likely give me a count of all her cards when I get home tonight. She was disappointed yesterday because there was no mail delivery, she was sure there would have been something for her.

I remember those days. The thrill, the excitement, of the cute girl in class giving you a card that asks "Will you be my Valentine?" or the one kid who's mom attached a sucker or a peice of gum to the card. Are we teaching them something? Or are we indoctrinating them into the "Hallmark" holiday that it has become.

Do I sound a little cynical? Maybe I am. I love my wife and she knows it. It doesn't take a special holiday that rakes in the cash for the Hallmarks of the world for me to tell her that. Albeit, I will be getting my wife some beautiful flowers on my way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment