Sunday, November 30, 2008

The other night Kathi was working so I was home with the kids.  After a long day at work this can be a trying time and usually ends up being a good time to work on my patience.  As the night progressed the kids grew more and more irritating and just wouldn't get off each others backs.  Eventually some unkind words were exchanged and tears flowed.  Both kids got sent to their rooms as I took a few to calm down and think of what to do next.

I sat on the couch and took a breather.  I let my mind wander as I thought of how to teach the kids instead of punish them.  Then it hit me, I'd have them make a list.  The list would be five things they like about their sibling.  Ah-ha, brilliant.  I called the kids down.

I sat them down with paper and pencil and explained their assignment.  They both agreed and seemed a bit excited about it.  That took me off guard.  The only question I got was from Alex who asked me if spelling mattered, I told him to do his best.  Here are the lists (spelled as written):

Brianna's List:
  • leaves me alone on weekends
  • playes with me sometimes
  • excanges christmas gifts willingly
  • wird
  • has pillow fights
Alex's List:
  • cool
  • ceoot
  • nicse
  • osume
  • grate
  • excellent
My favorite thing about the lists is Alex's spelling.  He gets cute, nice, and great wrong but excellent right?  That struck me funny.  The other thing I loved was when after sharing their lists with each other they wanted to change and modify them according to what the other said about them.  Goal reached!!! Conversation started.  The rest of the night went swimmingly.

I have osume kids.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked the list idea and the fruit of it. The minds of children are awesome. Though I consider myself often as an adult child... I don't think I'll ever regain that simplicity or innocence every again. It is bliss. It's a good thing kids don't know about that fact... the thought of how they will become as adults would probably freak them out and ruin the whole innocence and simplicity scenario.... though probably not because they simply wouldn't get it, and go back to being distracted by this and that. In some ways, great way to be, I think.

One Crazy Mama said...

That is excellent Brian! I am inpressed and wishing Asher was old enough to write. We could really use this around our house with our 2 fighting. You do have osume kids!!

Post a Comment