Saturday, February 18, 2006

Redemption Tour

Last night Kathi and I went with another couple to the Jars of Clay concert at Sunset Presbyterian. It was a good evening. Jars did a great job playing music from their new album and some hits of old. Their signature mix of harmony and acoustic guitar sounded amazing through Sunset's recently updated sound system. I really enjoyed hearing them live. The first time I saw them play live was at the Anaheim Pond and the sounded horrible. I don't pass blame on them but on the sound tech's and sound system. They sounded small in a huge arena. Last night was total redemption, they blew me away. The hymns mixed with a little rock n' roll was sweet.

The concert was opened up by former member of Caedmon's Call Derek Webb. He stood alone on stage with his acoustic guitar and sounded wonderful. I enjoy his music very much. He is a storyteller with a guitar.

Sara Groves came up next with her husband on percussion and a bass player. She was introduced by her two sons... heartwarming. I was familiar with only one of her songs. I enjoyed her more than Kathi did.

Throughout the concert all three of the musical acts promoted Blood Water Mission. This is an organization started by Jars to help fight the HIV/Aids Pandemic in Africa. Their aim is to provide clean drinking water through local wells to help decrease water born disease and infections.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brian, I'm glad you enjoyed the show! I was one of the behind-the-scenes guys, and I got GREAT pleasure out of seeing the entire crowd loving the performance. It was sweet. Glad to have you there!

Anonymous said...

Ugh. Personally not a fan of Jars of Clay. At all. More power to ya if you like em.

My friend Kyle works at Sunset Pres and was taking care of the band. Apparently, they're signed on a secular label now, and they make some pretty crazy "requests" in their tour contracts. Like having a constantly fresh brewed pot of Starbucks coffee, bottled water, and fresh sushi ready for them on ice after they are done playing. No joke.

Sara Groves played at the youth conference I led worship for with Paul. I really liked her style, songs, and heart. I got to hang out with her drummer for a while too, and he was freaking amazing. My only critique of her was that I felt like she was the Christianized version of Sarah Mclaughlin. They are almost identical. I liked Sara Groves a lot, though.

Post a Comment