Saturday, April 22, 2006

The DaVinci Code

An urgent message to those that think God will fail... or just a rant...

Brothers and sisters, we gather here today to say that "The DaVinci Code" is a work of FICTION. Please do not worry, we will get through this trying time, we will prevail. We made it through "The Last Temptation of Christ" we can make it though this. The Lord is still Lord, he is still seated at the right hand of his Father, he will still return as promised, he has not changed, please hold fast and squelch the worry in your heart that "The DaVinci Code" will end all of Christendom.

My goodness we Christians are a worrisome crowd. How many books, videos, website, articles, documentaries, sermons, talks, etc. ad nauseum have been produced to dispel this uber-popular book? Don't you think that the selling power of this book was produced by the kneejerk reaction to quickly dispel its premise. Where is your faith? Dan Brown should be, if he isn't already, sending kick-backs to the likes of Hank Hanegraaff or Shawn McDonnell or Amy Welborn or the countless other authors who help to keep this book alive through their own books about his book.

Now that the movie is coming out the hype and hate has revived the fire that was started over Dan Brown's work. I will say this... I enjoyed the book. It was interesting, well paced, had decent characters, and held my interest. Do I believe it's conclusion? ...Hell no. Am I going to see the movie? ...yes I am.

Please look at the way the world is seeing the followers of Jesus react to this work. Please understand that we are being judged by non-believers on how we react to situations like this.

I have a better way to respond. Find a copy of the book and read it. Understand what it is about. It is inevitable that discussion about it will pass your way either at the water cooler, your kids soccer game, the bowling alley, the bus, Starbucks, at home, or at the theater in line waiting for your chance to see Tom Hanks with a bad haircut playing the lead character. Be ready, stand firm in your faith, and allow God to use this opportunity to share the truth about Jesus and who he is. Share what he has done in your life, share his love.

Jesus says it best in John 15:9-13 "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."

Or take Peter's words from 1 Peter 3:15 "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect."

Don't freak out, don't bash or condemn, don't judge, don't be naive, be prepared. Be prepared to love. The youth pastor of our church said on Wednesday night: "The reason most people think that Christians are hypocrites is because we don't love." I agree whole heartedly. We judge, we condemn, we are quick to react and defend, but we are often slow on the love.

The greatest commandment from Matthew 22: 37-39 says: "...'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' " Jesus says the "the second is like it"... like it... like loving the Lord your God... like it... that is powerful. Second to it, not equal to, but like it. That puts a pretty high priority on it. I didn't see the word judge, condemn, ignore, stay away from... I see the word love.

Go see the movie, read the book and be prepared with an answer of love. An answer of your story, your life in Christ. Be prepared to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment