Friday, March 19, 2010

Beach Day with Owen

I took the day off work today to enjoy a day at the coast with Owen. He deserved it. Since Kathi and the kids have been gone for almost three weeks he's mostly been couped up in the house. Thanks to good neighbors and friends he gets let out to potty, walked and played with each day I'm at work.

I just figured since the weather was going to be good and he needs some special attention I'd treat him to a day out. And what a day it was. I challenge you to find a day at the Oregon coast that clouds aren't visible. Today not a one.

Usually there is a ridge of clouds miles off the coast but since there were easterly winds there were none.

Our first stop was Cannon Beach were we walked for miles and miles. We stopped to pose with Haystack Rock and its little buddy rocks. Owen was out of control with his nose. Nothing got past the sniffer.

The next stop was Oswald West State Park where we hiked the Cape Falcon Trail for a number of miles and then took the trail down to the beach and walked it. The surfers were a plenty.

For the record this is the beach were I caught hypothermia as a kid. I don't think my brother ever used his sleeping bag again after that trip. It is what they used to warm me up after stripping me naked. He just couldn't use a sleeping bag I had been naked in. I think he should have enshrined it as one of the tools that saved my life.

The day ended with a wonderful steak dinner at mom and dads. Yum.

All in all a great day. The only thing that could have made it better would have been the company of my wife and kids. Miss you guys terribly.

No comments:

Post a Comment