Monday, March 01, 2010

Three. Long. Weeks.

Thursday begins a long three weeks. Three. Long. Busy. Weeks.

Kathi and the kids are heading to Illinois to take care of her Grandma for a few weeks while her parents are away. I am staying home 'cause somebody has to pay the bills. I'm glad she gets to go and spend time with the Grandma and it will give Grandma a chance to spend time with the kids. It is a small interruption in this life of ours which we will survive.

I'm listening to Sarah Vowell's The Wordy Shipmates on CD and it makes me glad that we live today. In that book she talks about the Puritans and their journey to this country. It's not the story itself that makes me mention it but the fact that in those days it took three weeks or more to get anywhere.

Today we just hop a plane, get in the car or just call somebody when we want to see them. Technology has made it easier to be closer. Skype is wonderful as it lets you see and be close even though you're miles away. Cell phones give us the ability to catch people at a moments notice no matter where they or we are.

I've got plans for the three weeks. How much of that I get done doesn't really matter but I'm going to try some new things. Owen will freak out and be extremely neurotic but he'll survive also.

All this said I'll miss Kathi and the kids tremendously.

No comments:

Post a Comment