Sunday, April 11, 2010

Future Soldier

Today Alex and I had most of the day to ourselves. We hung out, he played video games, I read, we watched Iron Man, and he made a pronouncement:

"Dad, when I'm 18 I'm going to join the Army."

He's 8 going on 9 and I have no doubt that he is serious. Many kids have ideas of what they want to be when they grow up that never come to fruition. I for one was going to be the next Frank Lloyd Wright, but instead I'm working for the man selling parts. Alex wants to be a police officer. I think one day he will be one and a damn good one.

We've told him that a good step in becoming a good police officer is to have military experience. Also, we've told him that a college education is a good step too. It didn't come as a surprise to me that he left out the college part of his future plans. You don't find too many eight-year-olds who look forward to more school. For the most part they look forward to summer and the latest and greatest video game.

As his dad I want to be an encouragement to him and his hopes and dreams. I'd be proud to be the father of a soldier.

No comments:

Post a Comment