Monday, April 05, 2010

Sprechen Sie Englisch

At the end of the month I'll be in Munich Germany for a week. I'm going to help out at a trade show for a weekend and to pack it up when it's over. This is one of the largest, if not the largest, trade shows in the world. It is very important for us and could really help the companies presence in Europe.

I don't speak a lick of German. Fortunately my co-worker does. Unfortunately he leaves three days before I do. This will be a test for me, one I've passed before in Japan and Mexico. Although I do understand Spanish and speak a tad so Mexico was less a test than Japan was.

The other test I'll have is endurance. My plane lands at 7:50am and I head straight to the show for a full day of smiles and pleasant conversation. I hope their English is good. I plan to pack a few 5-hour energy shots for this, I know I'll need them. The jet-lag is going to be brutal.

For work I've had the privileged of travelling to Mexico, Japan, Australia and Texas. These foreign trips are fun even though I'm going to hang out in their garbage for days on end. The fun I have is trying new things and seeing new places. This mostly happens during meal times and sleep times. In Australia I was able to rent a car which afforded me the experience of driving on the other side of the road from the other side of the car. Japan, oh boy, I could tell stories all night about that trip but if you search back in this blog you can just read them.

While in Germany I am hoping to have a day or two to site see and explore. I found a bicycle tour that I'd like to take on my last day there. It is four hours long and looks to be a great way to see the city. Of course bier is on the menu. Bier and coffee are my two favorite beverages and since Munich is not known for their coffee I'll settle for the bier.

I will post pics and stories from there for sure. I'm nervous and excited, or I have a nervous excitement about this trip.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

It is great that you get to do this, & enjoy it, but don't have to travel from your family too often.

"Ich sprechen zie Deutch nicht" is all that i've retained from a year of German in HS. Never had a true chance to use it, however. About as close as i get is that i follow the blog (I will praise Him) of someone who lives in Germany. But blogs in English.

Hope you have fun.

Unknown said...

I found that many, many people in Germany speak English. I can't think of many instances where there was difficulty communicating.

Post a Comment