Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Chasing After The Wind!

I am reading through Ecclesiastes. There was no particular reason I picked this book. Maybe it was a nudging from the Spirit. Not really sure.

At first I thought that it would depress me with all the talk of meaninglessness and the like. But I have found it to be very uplifting. Here are some of my favorites:

3:11 "God makes everything happen at the right time. Yet none of us can ever fully understand all he has done, and he puts questions in our minds about the past and the future." CEV - This gives me hope.

6:9 "It's better to enjoy what we have than to always want something else, because that makes no more sense than chasing the wind." CEV - I need to strive for contentment.

7:19 "Wisdom will make you stronger than the ten most powerful leaders in your city." CEV

7:26 "Here is what I discovered: A bad woman is worse than death. She is a trap, reaching out with body and soul to catch you. But if you obey God, you can escape. If you don't obey, you are done for." CEV - makes me glad I married a good one ;-)

8:16-17 "Day and night I went without sleep, trying to understand what goes on in this world. I saw everything God does, and I realized that no one can really understand what happens. We may be very wise, but no matter how much we try or how much we claim to know, we cannot understand it all."CEV

9:7-10 "Be happy and enjoy eating and drinking! God decided long ago that this is what you should do. Dress up, comb your hair, and look your best. Life is short, and you love your wife, so enjoy being with her. This is what you are supposed to do as you struggle though life on this earth. Work hard at whatever you do. Youu will soon go to the world of the dead, where no one works or thinks or reasons or knows anything."CEV

11:13-14 "Everything you were taught can be put into a few words: Respect and obey God! This is what life is all about. God will judge everything we do, even what is done in secret, whether good or bad."CEV - A great way to end the book.

While reading this book I feel as if the author knows me and knows my thoughts. It was written thousands of years ago and man has not changed. The same thoughts and struggles Solomon was dealing with are the same thoughts and struggles people deal with today. The key to this is in verse 15 of chapter 3 "Everything that happens has happened before, and all that will be has already been- God does everything over and over again."

God remains the same yesterday, this day, and tomorrow. What a comfort that is. Life is short, enjoy it knowing that God is in control.

No comments:

Post a Comment