Saturday, November 11, 2006

It's Just Too Early

Today I was out and about getting some things for the house. I visited Lowe's, H0me Depot, and Walgreens. All three stores have massive Christmas displays up and prominent in the store. Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas, but this started weeks ago and I am already tired of seeing it. It's got my kids in a tizzy over what they want and all that too.

I don't know about now but Nordstrom's used to put up their Christmas decorations on Thanksgiving night. I know because I used to go and help. I respected that. It was their tradition and wasn't too early. Somebody please tell me it is the same today.

The marketing monster that dominates the American landscape is out of control and devours our very soul. It makes "wanters" out of us. Wanters that satisfy every whim and desire without consideration of our true needs. True needs like community, shelter, nourishment, and God. I've not seen him in the Christmas that is currently on display. I've seen the new god of desire represented in a big red suit.

I think another reason people try to bring Christmas so early is because of what it represents in their life. For many it may be the only happy time they remember. It may be the only time they've experienced a sense of joy. Because of this they want it to last longer, to be more prevelent in their life. It is a time that brings what God has for them everyday. Peace, joy, and contentment.

I truly look forward to Christmas. I love the time with family and friends. I love hearing from people we don't see very often. The food is great as are the decorations. I love the story, you know the story, the reason, the baby in the manger. That is the best part. The Gift. The gift that everyone can receive. Please let us remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment