Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Five Second Rule

Lately my wife and I have had an issue with my daughter complaining, arguing, and talking back. These are probably typical symptoms of a nine year old but day in and day out they can get old. So Monday my wife kept a list of all the complaints and arguments that my daughter had throughout the day. When I got home I talked with my daughter about her day all the while referencing the list my wife had made. My daughter had no idea the list existed. During our conversation it was off to the side and I'd reference it with a quick glance. She must have been wondering how I knew so many specifics about her day.

During the conversation I gave my daughter a suggestion to help her reduce the amount of complaining and arguing she does. I'll call it the five second rule. I suggested that before she speaks she counts to five silently in her head. This is to give her a moment to think about what she is going to say, or to give her a moment to say it in a less whiny tone. She thought it was a good idea and immediately put it into practice.

That night when I was tucking her into bed I kissed her good night and said "I love you". Instead of the immediate return of affection she just stared at me like a deer in headlights. About five seconds later she says "I love you too daddy". I had to smile.

1 comment:

Paulos said...

I was expecting this five second stuff to apply to food dropped on the floor.

Post a Comment