Saturday, May 19, 2007

Shout Out to Troy

I am late with a shout out to my friend Troy for rescuing me in a time of stupidity and panic.

There are times when I wonder why I am still alive. Mothers Day was one of those days.

My lovely wife asked that I finish a Honey-do as a favor to her sanity for Mothers Day. That project involved putting back up some shelves in the garage. These shelves were taken down when my dad and I installed our garage door opener.

In order to put the shelves back up I had to split them in two. One side I put back in its original location and the other I was going to put up on the next wall over. I measured... twice. I marked. I began to drill.

Have you ever drilled into wood and hit a knot? I have. And that is what I thought happened here so I gave the drill a quick push and a second or two later it was back on the move. Not one millionth of a second after completing that push did it take me to realize my error. The lights flickered, the drill sparked and I about shit myself. As words that all sailors know started to uncontrollably fly from my mouth I quickly pulled the drill from the wall. The tip of the drill bit was about 1/2" shorter than it used to be and was glowing red hot.

I panicked. What did I do? What is going to happen? I leave for Mexico tomorrow, and, what if? and, oh, Oh, oh, oh. Call Troy. That was the only thing I could think of. Call Troy. He'll know what to do.

I didn't just drill into a set of wires. I drilled into the wire. The main. I know. Crap. I could have killed myself. Troy assured me of that during his visit.

Troy was quick to respond. He came over and opened up the wall. Checked a couple of things and assured my that we were probably okay for now but should call an electrician to check it out. He told me I was lucky that I only hit one of the mains and not both. And that I was lucky I didn't electrocute my self. Thank God for a ladder and my plastic drill.

Troy put my mind at ease. Thanks man. I owe you one. Sorry I am allergic to dogs or I'd help out with the boys. By the way, the electrician came by while I was gone and said we were okay. He also said I should have known I was drilling through a metal plate. Probably.

4 comments:

Kathi said...

Troy, you rock!

Anonymous said...

I was going to say that you should have known it was a metal plate, but you seemed to be having a bad enough day. :)

All in a days work.... anytime.

Jenn Sanders said...

Glad you're still here Brian! :-)

Missy said...

Between this, being hit by a car as a kid, and the motorcycle incidents...I would say you're down a few lives, Bri.

Glad everything worked out.

Post a Comment