Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Dream Interpreter Needed

All my life I have had vivid dreams.  Some are based on reality and some are just plain nuts.  For the longest time I've wanted to start a dream journal but by the time I sit down to write them out they've become fuzzy and not worth recording.  Last night I had some doozy's, one in particular was just plain nuts.  I am used to the dreams were I show up late for a test I am not prepared for or the one where I forget my locker combination or the one where I am riding a motorcycle but have to push it like Fred Flintstone.  Those are normal. This one is not.

Since I was up early, I got in a shower and some Bible reading and decided that the dream was still fresh enough to write down.  Since I have a good record of it and some courage to share I will do just that.  Here it is.  Let me know what you think of this and if you think you know what it means.

We walked with a purpose through a new park in Portland.  This was no ordinary park and this was no ordinary group of people.  I was last in line behind a number of homeless people marching through a concrete tunnel.  My thoughts were that this park would become a haven for the homeless due to the homeless guys sleeping under the cushions on couches that lined the concrete tunnel.  Eventually the tunnel leads outside where we trudged up a small incline to a path along a small field of grass.  Along this path there was a sewer grate that was about shoulder height to me and filled with mud and junk.  As I passed this grate I heard a voice, it was the voice of a child.  The voice said “My daddy hurt me”.  There was no mistake, I heard the voice loud and clear.  No one else in our troop seemed to have heard the voice.  I stopped and looked into the grate and saw nothing but the debris that filled it.  I called out to the voice but it did not respond.  I picked up a stick and reached through the bars and dug at the gunk inside.  A moment later the stick was lifting the arm of a small child, and then a face appeared.  It was a mud covered face of a little girl of undetermined age.  I dialed 911 on my cell phone.  The operator was discussing a recipe with a coworker as she answered my call.  I quickly told her that I found the body of a little girl at the park.  I had to look up the street to find the crossroads at which the park was located.  Burnside and 11-22nd.  The group I was with had changed and so had the little girl.  As I turned back to her after hanging up with the 911 operator I noticed that the group I was with included my wife, and the little girl was now alive and sitting on the side of the grating.  She began to speak with me.  I don’t remember what we talked about, I only remember noticing that she had tattoo’s on her left shoulder.  When I asked about the tattoos she told me that she was getting more and one of them would say “Daddy loved me”.  From there the dream gets a bit sketchy in terms of clarity.  At one point the paramedics arrive and examine the girl.  They asked me if I touched the body and I said only with the stick and I outlined one of the tattoos on her shoulder with my finger tip.  At this point I don’t remember if the girl was still in her alive state, which was clean, or her dead state, which she was covered with the mud.  The paramedics were hovered over her and the dream ends.
So that's it.  A bit of CSI slash X-Files.  Somehow my head produced that out of conscience and unconscience memories.  I am just curious if it has meaning.  I think most dreams do I just can't imagine what the meaning of this one is.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Go into politics and save our children! That's my interpretation of your dream combined with your previous posts.Love you!

Emiko said...

I have dreams like that too--so vivid, sometimes, I have to write them out. In doing so, clarity comes.
A little dream analysis never hurts... How did you feel in the different parts of your dream? Heroic? Discouraged? Sad? Restless? Helpless?
You were revealed the depth of your heart for the hurting and the lost and frustrated at the apathy of those who are suppose to be helping.

One Crazy Mama said...

Protection...You stayed to help her while the others ignored her words & walked away. You are a protector. The tunnel...constriction/fear. The green valley, obviously a road to climb up ahead. Maybe you are preparing to make some changes in your life.

Brian said...

Jen - no chance.
Emiko - I don't recall any emotions, although it felt as if I knew I was dreaming.
OCM - Interesting thoughts, something to ponder.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, please keep a prayer journal. If you dream stuff like that, I consider it gold. Though it might be a bit disturbing to have such dreams without a clear meaning being revealed, consider yourself blessed to dream as far as I'm concerned. I don't sleep very well and rarely remember my dreams - though I'm sure they occur. I think I'm a little less sane because of it. Sorry for not commenting earlier. Been writing way too much myself (though not to suggest you are - write more!).

Anonymous said...

Sorry... prayer on the brain... I meant to say "dream journal"... not that I should apologize for such a flub :)

Post a Comment