Saturday, August 08, 2009

Wendy's Fright

Have you ever tried to eat while you are scared? It ain't easy let me tell ya.

Today Brianna and I stopped at Wendy's (her choice) for a bite to eat before heading down to Dayton to visit with family. We ordered and sat down in the back to eat. I chose the back because no one was there and we could eat in peace. It's kind of like walking into the movie theater and finding the best seats that aren't near anyone. We had those. I had finished my jr. bacon cheeseburger and was starting on my value menu chicken sandwich when a shadow fell across the table and I knew our space had been invaded.

Invaded it was. Sitting perpendicular to us was the intruder. With all the empty seats and tables available this was a peculiar choice for the invader. Again with the movie theater analogy - it is like sitting in an empty theater and having someone come in and sit right in front of you. Odd. So I peeked over. It was a quick peek. Very quick. GAH! I didn't know what to think. I know this is somebodies mom and grandma but I was scared. This lady had on makeup that was scary. More scary than Mimi from the Drew Carey Show.

I notice that Brianna had looked too because she was now facing the window trying to quickly swallow the bite she just took and to avoid eye contact with me. We both knew. It was time to go.

"Briannna, are you almost done there? If you want you can take it with you and eat in the car."

I looked again. She was staring at us with the face of a scary clown. I know you think I am exaggerating but I'm not. She was staring. Let's just say that metallic blue eye make up was nothing, even though it covered half her face, it was the lip makeup that did it. She had painted exaggerated black lines around the edge of her lips with something that probably resembled a Sharpie pen. Scary! Black on pale pink - not a good combo.

After was seemed like an eternity being stared at by Scary Clown Lady, and 50 questions to Brianna about the state of her food in like 30 seconds - "are you done" "are you sure you want those fries" - and the offer to have her eat in the car she relented. "Dad, maybe I can finish this in the car." "YES, you can." Whoosh. Off we went leaving Scary Clown Lady to stare at our empty seats.

Phew. Safe. The moment we passed the threshold of the front door and with the knowledge we couldn't be heard we turned to each other and said simultaneously "DID YOU SEE THAT?" and burst out laughing. I know I'll be punished for laughing but it was the kind of laugh you have after a fright that could take your life and I couldn't help it.

No comments:

Post a Comment