Thursday, January 19, 2006

こんにちは

From the Palace Hotel in Japan I send my greetings. This is a beautiful hotel located directly across from the royal family's palace.

The trip is going well. I am done with the bulk of it and all that is left is dinner tomorrow night with a customer. Then it is back to Portland.

Japan is an amazing place. Like most things in life, reading about it wasn't enough; experience is the key. Fortunately for me I have had a guide for the last two days who is fluent in English and Japanese. What I have had to do on my own has been easy, mostly because Japan is ready for Westerners.

As of today I have been fortunate to have avoided Sushi. It has been all noodles and rice thus far. All of my other meals have been from vending machines. There are vending machines everywhere, I mean everywhere. For the last two days I have been in the city of Oyama and on the way to the plant from our hotel there is a vending machine on the side of the road in front of a rice field. Seriously, there is nothing there but the vending machine. I wish I could have got a photo but spaced it each time we passed by. Downtown Oyama there is a vending machine that sells rice. No kidding. Ten pound bags. They even sell hot coffee in a can, yep, just like a soda, but it's hot.

Here is a photo from my first hotel room upon arriving in Tokyo. It is a little blurry due to the mass of condensation on the window and my camera's inability to take night photos.















It is getting late, or early, I am confused as is my body...

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment