Saturday, December 22, 2007

Fat Guy and a Sub

I don't understand Subway's new ad campaign. A number of years ago they introduced us to Jared, a normal everyday fat guy who used Subway as a weight loss program. For years skinny Jared has been the face of Subway. Now we've got big fat Peter Griffin from the hit series Family Guy. I've seen Family Guy a few times. It is funny but very crass and over the top and definitely not for the family.

So we've got a fat cartoon character from a not so family friendly cartoon series promoting a family friendly healthy alternative for fast food. I just don't understand why Subway decided to go this direction. Homer Simpson promoting donuts, that I get.

Does seeing a fat guy promoting this sandwich make you want to eat one? Not me. They've even changed the kids menu to provide relatively healthy sides like yogurt and apple slices instead of chips. How do you reconcile the two? A fat guy and a "healthy" food. I am at a loss.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those are grounds to write to a company... you have great points.
Email them, call them, write them...they may not read your blog!

Post a Comment