Saturday, December 22, 2007

Resolutions

First let me say that I've never been a big New Year's Resolution kinda guy. I think this year might be a little different. There are some passions and/or hobbies that I've let go of over the years and I think this year I am going to rekindle those passions.

As a kid I used to draw and create, I don't do much of that anymore. People always told me that I had a natural talent and that I should pursue doing more. Most of them were my family, some of which still egg me on. So this year I am going to start drawing more. I bought a nice set of colored pencils that should help get me started. The one decision on this subject I haven't made is whether or not I will be sharing this art work. I'll let you know.

The first year after I graduated from college I learned how to shoot. Not pictures but guns. Oh boy are they fun. Don't jump up and get all "guns-kill" on my butt. I kill paper targets. Kill 'em dead. My hard and fast rule is if I can't gut, clean and section it I can't kill it. So I don't hunt. Blood and guts are not my thing. The paper targets I shoot don't have feelings, blood, or guts so I shoot away. The other nice thing is that they don't shoot back. Shooting is a challenge and harder than most people might think. So this year I am going to make a bigger effort to get to the range and practice shooting.

The other kind of shooting is another thing I'd like to do more of. Yes, the picture kind of shooting. Right now I have a small digital camera that does not lend to much creative manipulation so I may start saving for a digital SLR. In high school and college I used to do quite a bit and now really only take snapshots of the family. Like many of the hobbies I've had over the years this one isn't free. The start up for me will be about $2K to get the camera I like.

The last thing isn't really a hobby or passion but more a necessity for longevity. Exercise. Kathi and I are thinking of joining a gym again. If we do I will be giving up a little of one of my favorite things, sleep. Going to the gym will require very early mornings. Back in the day I used to get up at 5 and head down for an hours workout before work. We are waiting to see what specials the local gyms throw at us for the new year.

So this year is a new year (duh). We'll see how it goes. This past year threw a lot at us and we survived. As with all new things there is a sense of hope and promise. I just pray that I am disciplined enough to persevere.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now it isn't "egging" you on when you really do have talent! Remember in high school you did that cool Coke glass picture with a backdrop and bubbles...it was then that I thought "he's got an eye" yuck yuck yes you have two eyes..you know what I mean. All of this to say I BELIEVE in YOU!
And I am impressed with so many of your artsy qualities!

Post a Comment