Friday, June 19, 2009

Gimme Some Sugar

I am not a control freak, but I do prefer to drive than to be a passenger. I probably speak more than I should in conversations. I'd rather do things myself so I know it is done right. That said, the one thing I know is that I don't like to be controlled.

There is one thing in my life that has more control over me than it should - my desire for sugar. I just can't seem to get enough. If sugar was meth I'd be a full blown, on the street, begging for money, addict.

My drawer at work often resembles the candy aisle at Walgreen's. It is often stuffed with the likes of Hot Tamales, Gummy Worms or Bears, M&M's, Jujyfruits, Mike & Ikes, Starbursts, Milk Duds, Skittles, and the like. Currently there are a handful of cigar shaped bubble gums (so far untouched). My boss often will come in and rummage through my drawers looking for my latest hiding spot. I do hide it because of him and he rarely finds it. I think his lack of self-control may rival mine.

So this past week I decide to go on a sugar and caffeine fast. I have no set length of time in mind, I just want to show myself that I don't need it and that it does not control me. I also hope to break the quantity and frequency of my sugar and caffeine intake. So far so good.

This week there have been many temptations. Today, for example, a lady from Costco stopped by to give us information packages about potential memberships to the club and with that she left a box of brownie bites. I didn't eat a single one. I resisted soda at Five Guys, pie and candy at my sisters, and the coup de gras - the candy aisle at Walgreens. I went there and by habit walked through it and said out loud to the candy (cause I know it can hear me) "not today boys!"

Today is day seven. The journey continues.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brian without sugar? I can't imagine it. That's like Brianna without sugar. Good for you for going this long- such willpower.

Tamsters

One Crazy Mama said...

Wow Brian! I wish I had your strength! I could use a sugar & caffeine fast as well.

Brian said...

It hasn't been easy Laurie. My kids bought me a bunch of my favorite candies for Father's Day and they are currently calling out to me from the cupboard.

Post a Comment