Monday, June 22, 2009

Scanned Photos

This weekend I reclaimed the garage - in other words, I cleaned it. While enjoying my Father's Day in a dusty, crap filled garage I ran across some gems. So tonight I scanned them for your viewing pleasure.
This was was my 1979 Subaru Brat - my first car. I bought it my senior year of High School from a classmate for $1,850. I wish I still had it.

This car brought me on some great adventures around Oregon, Washington, and California. It could climb Timberline Road in a foot and a half of snow without chains. And yes, it had the jumper seats in the back! Driving the gravel roads along the Deschutes River made for some excitement for me as the driver and the two passengers who must have been holding on for dear life in the back.

This car rocked! Sort of. The tape player could only play my copy of Brian Adams Reckless without sounding funny. For some reason it was the only tape that played in normal speed. All my others would sound like they were playing in half speed. Sorry Stryper.

The one thing I know it beat driving the Great Green Beast which was our eight passenger Ford Econoline Van or the Diesel Volkswagen Rabbit we had.

This is one of my mom during my black and white experimental days. I'm guessing she was about 45 when I took this picture. She was very supportive and tolerant of my photography hobby. My guess is that she probably thought I'd do something with it one day. Which in all honesty I hoped to until all of my gear was stolen from my dorm room in college. I'm still young, so you never know, I could still be the next Ansel Adams or Annie Leibovitz.

This is a shot of my dad while we were on vacation in San Fransisco in 1986. I'm guessing he was about 46, which is only five years older than I am now. Oh how time flies. He's holding his old Minolta which I know gave him many years of good service. I know he'd tell you that he had these shades before that style was cool. My dad, the trend-setter.

The three pictures were taken with either a Pentax K1000 or a Pentax ME Super. Both cameras I loved and had for many many years. The ME Super was actually the only camera not stolen in the big heist and until a year ago was still in my possession.

I've got a huge box of slides to go through when I've got time. So keep an eye out for future posts on old photos.

5 comments:

Steve Jolly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steve Jolly said...

I've ridden in the back of that there Subaru.

Brian said...

That is true Steve - I believe that a couple of runs to McDonalds if I remember right.

Brian said...

and your brother was a passenger during some of my more harrowing experiences.

Steve Jolly said...

Yes I believe he was.

Post a Comment