Monday, October 09, 2006

Just Do It!

Last night at church we were challenged by Justin to be doers of the word. He was teaching from James 1:19-27. James tells us to hear the Word and go do what it says. To not be like a man who sees his face in the mirror and soon forgets what he saw. Taking this teaching to heart I was up early. For years I have been determined to get up, make coffee and breakfast, and spend some time with the Word. For all those years I've tried and failed. Now I pray to read and do. Not to read just to read and know for knowings sake. That is not acceptable.

Today I determined that I need this morning ritual more than I need the sleep. You need to first understand that I love sleep. I don't just like it, I love it. I'd marry it if I could. Well, in reality I love sleep less than I hate mornings. I am slow to get up and slow to get moving. I would rather stay up all night before I would choose to get up early. In short, I am not a morning person. In college it was torture to have a class before 9am. Pure torture.

This morning was good. I found it easier than normal to get up and get moving. We'll see how the next few days go. Each week I'll set the alarm just a little earlier until I get down to 5am. Today I was up at 5:30. My time in the word wasn't long enough because of the extra long shower I took to help the wake up process.

Today I had to leave work early due to a "tree-mergency" we had at home. Our 25+ foot Flowering Pear tree in the front yard split and loss half its mass. It was frustrating because I just pruned the tree and made it look real nice. Sorry... this is a rabbit trail... just know that Saturday I'll be taking this tree down and shopping for a new one to take its place. So sad. This tree was barely six feet tall when we moved in. Maybe this was the enemies way to distract me. However he looses because on my way home I had the Ipod on shuffle and the song Overhead by Hyperstatic Union came on. Read the lyrics posted below. This song was the perfect confirmation of Justin's teaching from James and what I am committing to. I hear it and read it as an all too familiar prayer. One I have spent many nights praying.

The things I want are tearing me apart
I knew this from the start
They’re daggers to Your heart
Though I desire to trade my will with Yours
I’m shutting open doors and crawling on all fours
I need Your touch, open my eyes
Cut me down to size, I’m dying to rise

I promised I’d be less and let You be more
In my attempt to do what I have read
To die is gain, I want to serve the One I adore
But it appears there’s too much overhead

I’d rather stay than give my life away
The life that I have made, a price I just can’t pay
So I ignore Your calling from the shore
You offer so much more but the cost I can’t afford
Short-sighted eyes, my spirit’s demise
Listening to lies, dying to rise

I need Your touch, open my eyes
Cut me down to size, I’m dying to rise


AMEN!

1 comment:

Dave Ketah said...

Solid! Way to respond man, I'll be praying for you to be able to stick with it.

Post a Comment