Saturday, March 25, 2006

V for Vendetta

I saw V for Vendetta last night with my friend Joe. We both enjoyed the movie. Good story, good characters, good action, and good special effects.

The story is about a young lady named Evey and a masked vigilante called "V" who spark a revolution against Great Britain's fascist state. The setting is a futuristic totalitarian Britain. "V" is out to destroy the existing government to bring freedom and justice to the people. For more on the movies general story I recommend going to see it. It is rated R so if you are sensitive to the rating system keep that in mind.

V For Vendetta was originally a graphic novel produced in the mid 1980s by Alan Moore and David Lloyd. Due to the revisions in the movie version that removes much of the original Anarchist ideals of the story Mr. Moore had asked that his name not be associated with the movie. For more on this story visit A for Anarchy.

Prior to seeing the movie the rumblings and reviews I heard and read promoted the movie as a political statement on today's governmental happenings. This is true, it is political. However, not so much that it ruins the movie or the story.

Throughout history art has reflected the current state of man whether it's political, religious, personal, emotional, or physical. This movie does a good job to capture some of today's political landscape. The movie makes mention of the "US's war", the government spying on its citizens, perverted priests, state run media, etc. Some of it is over the top blatant and didn't need to be added to make the movie good, especially the part about the priest. However, the movie makes a statement on today's political spectrum and agree with it or not it is an artist view and they have a right to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I wasn't so thrilled about this one. There wasn't nearly as much action as I thought there would be, and it was pretty slow.

I certainly did not feel moved by the time the film ended toward one feeling or another. I don't think the government presented was really oppresive enough to make me understand the need to blow up buildings. I think the movie "Equilibrium" presented this idea much better, with more action and more scenes that caused me to at least experience base emotions. In fact, if V wasn't based on Alan Moore's work, I'd chalk this whole movie up to a cheap rip-off of "Equilibrium".

The ending was pretty lame as well, with the some cheesey lines ("My brother, my mother" line? Come on). Everything was wrapped up way to nicely, and the ending scene with the mass V mob was nowhere near the original source material.

The Mars Hill review called it "M for Mediocre", and I'm inclined to agree.

Post a Comment