Friday, September 29, 2006

Almost Time To Vote (a rant)

November is coming and the political signs and ads are in the air.

I don't care like I use to. I probably should but I don't. The politicians are all starting to sound the same to me.

Does my voice matter? Does my vote count? I'm sure in some way it does but it doesn't always feel like it.

The big election for us this year is the Governors race. And a race it is. Both canditates are currently neck and neck. I lean towards the Republican as I always do but not for any specific reason in this case. I tend to vote Republican because I like what the Republican party is supposed to stand for (smaller government, etc.).

In reality there is not a politician I've ever seen or heard that stands for all the things that are important to me. So in essence I am often choosing from the lesser of two evils. I want a candidate that doesn't raise my taxes, one that will maybe even lower my taxes, one that will stop creating new laws and start enforcing existing ones, one that stands up for the family, one that gives more freedom to those that earn it and takes away from those that don't, one that will protect this country from its enemies, one that treats all people the same, and one that lets those willing to help those in need do so. I don't think that is too much to ask. A lot of politicians sound like this when they are running for office but then they get there and the real agenda kicks in.

I don't want to sound dissallusioned. I don't want to sound like I've thrown in the towel. But lately I have began to make a concerted effort to put all my faith in Christ and not man. Maybe part of that process is affecting my political outlook. I'm not sure. Ultimately I want what Jesus wants. I want love and justice to prevail.

A note to all politicians: If you want an example of how to do things right take some lessons from Jesus. Read the Gospels and see what Jesus thinks is important. Take care of the poor, the children, and the widows. Feed the hungry, house the homeless, and treat people with compassion. Love your neighbor as yourself. If you don't know who your neighbor is look to the teachings of Jesus.

3 comments:

Dave Ketah said...

You might be closer aligned to the Libertarian party than the Republicans. Registering Libertarian has an upside and a downside. The upside is that rising Libertarian voter registration is beginning to catch the attention of the two parties who have taken for granted that they are in control. The downside is that you don't get to vote in the primaries. I registered Libertarian a few years back, and while I don't agree with all of their platform, I'm pleased that they are a party that values debate over the issues within the party. The 'big two' don't do that, either you follow the party line, or you're a traitor.

Brian said...

Good point to ponder Dave. I know just a little about the Lib's but I'll look into them a bit more.

Jennifer said...

I like what you have to say, Big Brother! I don't think you are alone in your thinking.

Post a Comment