Sunday, September 10, 2006

Butt Rock!

A couple of months ago my neighbor found out that I like heavy metal music. He called me a closet "Buttrocker". Uh, I'm not sure about that one. First I am in no closet and second I don't rock any butts.

I didn't know the origins of that classification of Rocker so I had to look it up. I checked out Wikipedia for thier definition of Butt Rock:


Buttrock is a sometimes derogatory term for many types of rock and roll & metal genres of music, much as the terms hair metal or mallcore are. The label 'buttrock' is meant disparagingly toward most '70s & '80s heavy metal bands as
well as a lot of early thrash metal including BayArea thrash, Teutonic thrash and even some Crossover thrash, though especially the term is used for bands of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal . The connotations which the term implies contrasts the using of the term Nu-metal pejoratively, in that, 'buttrock' denotes unsophisticated rock or metal music, lacking progressive traits.

Examples of "Buttrock"
Europe
Poison
Cinderella
Warrant
Mötley Crüe
Buckcherry
L.A.
Guns

Winger
Jackyl
Ugly Kid Joe
The term is rumored to have originated when persons, when complaining to "rockers" about the quality of the music they listened to, received the response: "But it rocks!" This was eventually shortened to "buttrock" and has become the term of choice when describing a seemingly meaningless selection of metal music.
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttrock"


Well that's all good and fine.

I think my brother found the best example of butt rock on our vacation last weekend. See if you agree:


3 comments:

Missy said...

It's only fitting that you're a butt rocker...since your last name is "Bottom", ya know.

Nice butt rock!

Kathi said...

Missy - you know that this blog is going to show up on your report again for use of the word "butt."

Anonymous said...

What a "crack up"! Leave it to me to post the cheesy pun. What happened to the pic of Daniel kissing butt? Save that one for when he runs for office...lol.

Post a Comment