Sunday, September 24, 2006

My, My, My

Lately I've taken notice of something that people say often and for some reason it is starting to bug me. It isn't any big deal and really shouldn't bug me but it does.

I was talking with one of the guys from our shop at work and he used the phrase "my lawyer". I instantly thought to myself "does this guy really have a lawyer?". Really who out there has a lawyer. Doesn't having a lawyer entail having a retainer in place and a constant need for one.

The use of the word "my" is what is hitting the irritation nerve. My lawyer, my contact at..., my doctor, my pastor, my, my, my, my God.

This is such a possessive word. The dictionary I have lists it as the 'possessive form of I'.

It just seems so self important to announce something as mine. Oh, I'm sure I have done it or still do. I just don't like the way it sounds.

"Wait until I talk to my lawyer!" I know you can hear the tone of voice in your head that usually accompanies that phrase. There is always an inflection on the word 'my'.

It isn't important but it just bugs. I know you are probably thinking to yourself that Brian is sounding a little too sensitive on this and maybe he's got other issues going on. You may be right. Just don't say "You should see my shrink". I may lose it.

No comments:

Post a Comment