Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Run!!! Hide!!!

Our old friend Amway has a new name! Quixtar. (links left out intentionally)

A young man that works in our company's shop came into my office to ask my advice on a personal matter today. After he closed the door he proceeded to tell me his story.

He has a friend that has approached him with a business deal that can make him $9,000 in the first 90 days. Sound familiar? To those of you that have been approached by an Amway believer you will understand. He proceeded to tell me about all of the successful people he has met at some of the introductory meetings. There are people in nice suits, driving Escalades, living in nice houses, and one particular gentleman who was retired at the age of 23. Wow! 23 and retired! Bull$#!t! excuse my french.

I asked him what his gut told him about these people and I was excited to hear his answer. He said that they all seemed fake, that there was something that they weren't telling him. I told him that he was probably right in his observation. Something that seems too good to be true is probably just that... too good to be true.

After talking about the realities of business and how the multi-level marketing programs work he began to ask some great questions and make some good observations. Please know that I was fair and not once did I tell him not to join. I did put some of my historical slant on some of the discussion and let him know about some of my past experiences with people from this type of organization. He walked away with a little more skepticism and a host of good questions to ask at the next meeting. I encouraged him that if he does sign up for it not to sign a contract and not to exceed his comfort level with the required monthly dues. He said these were about $90 per month. I also encouraged him to go with his gut, which so far was telling him that something wasn't right.

I was glad he came to talk to me. I was also proud that he thought to seek my advice. Throughout the day we had smaller conversations about it and at the end of the day I feel as though I may have steered him away from going down the MLM path. Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment