Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Things You'll Do For Your Kids

Tonight Kathi was taking off with our friend Missy to go shopping. They were planning to leave around seven and would be back who knows when. (still not back as I write this)

My thinking went like this: Since I had a long day at work and it's about six thirtyish I think I'll hit the couch for a little rest before Kathi leaves and I am home with the grommets.

My kids thinking went like this: Hey, Dad's laying on the couch and looks like he wants to play.

For a short time the game was steal the pillow. You have to understand that the pillow is my protection from the things they'll inevitably throw my way. Things like their stinky breath in my face or lifting my eyelids to see if I am really sleeping, etc. They played steal the pillow for a while until the next random thought came to their devious little brains. That thought was to decorate Dad.

For the next half hour I was stickered, toilet papered, poked, climbed on, wrapped in streamers, taped, and laughed at. That was a great time. For them. For me the pleasure came from watching them amuse themselves with their silliness. That is the one thing they are very good at. If you got paid by your level of silliness my kids could be supporting me instead of vise-versa.

At the end of the half hour I looked absolutely rediculous and my kids had a huge mess to clean up. The miracle of that was - they didn't complain one lick about having to clean up the mess. Instead the silliness continued. I watched from the kitchen as I made a pot of coffee.

There are moments when you watch your kids and smile and wish they'd be that way forever. Tonight was one of those moments.

Guess who just walked in the door.

2 comments:

Missy said...

I thought the best part of the "daddy decor" was the giant purple flower sticker Brianna stuck to your backside with a big ole' swat and an even bigger giggle. Goofy kids are the best!

PS - Thanks for letting me steal your wife away for a few hours...the girl time was great!

Kathi said...

And here you thought you were going to get a little nappy nap in!

Post a Comment