Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Things Kids Say

Last night after the Daddy Decorating party I sat on my bed and played a bit more with the kids before bedtime. After brushing their teeth and all the other customary bedtime rituals they came in to my room and jumped up on the bed. Alex was just wearing his Spiderman underpants, which is what he usually wears to bed on hot nights. A conversation started and it went like this:

Alex - "I couldn't be more naked unless I shaved off all the hair on my body." as he giggles.

Me - "We can arrange that. Do you want me to shave your head?"

Brianna - "Yeah! That would be cool."

Alex - "Well..."

Me - "Seriously, we can."

Brianna - All excited about the proposition. "I'll give you five bucks if you do it."

Alex - "Is five dollars a lot of money?" (remember, he's five)

Brianna - "You can buy five candy bars at the Dollar Store."

Alex - "Ohh!"

Me - "Well, should I get out the razor."

Brianna - "Come on, do it Alex."

Alex - "How about a hundred bucks?"

Brianna - "I don't have a hundred. I have five. I can go get it."

Alex - "I don't know. Maybe tomorrow."

It pretty much ended there.

What amused me the most was the issue regarding the value of five dollars. I found it funny that it was quickly associated with the quantity of candy one could purchase. We often forget the value of five bucks. I'm sure most of us associate five bucks with our favorite beverage at Starbucks. What does five dollars get you these days?

The second thing that made me laugh was how quick Brianna offered up booty for the dare. I didn't think a nine year old would have been keen to that concept. A concept that is usually associated with boys of a much older age.

In case you were wondering, I would have shaved it if he said yes.

2 comments:

Missy said...

Tell Alex I'll give him $7.50!

Jennifer said...

You wouldn't have done it, would you?!?

Post a Comment